Unraveling The Recipe For Onion Bombs Camping Food
If you click and purchase with one of our links, we earn a commission. Thanks.
When planning a camping trip, most people focus on packing the essentials like tents, sleeping bags, and campfire cookware. However, one item that is often overlooked is the humble onion. Onions may not seem like an essential camping item, but they can actually be very useful in a variety of situations. For example, if you find yourself without a pot or pan to cook with, you can simply wrap your food in aluminum foil and bury it in hot coals. The onion will help to infuse your food with flavor as it cooks. Wondering what onion bombs recipe you can try on your next camping trip? Read on for some exciting ideas!
To make an onion bomb, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
How To Make Onion Bombs
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients, including flour, salt, baking powder, cornstarch, and cayenne pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is well combined. Fold in the shredded cheddar cheese. The batter should be thick but pourable. Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a deep pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil is hot, use a spoon to drop balls of batter into the oil, approximately the size of a tablespoon each. Fry the onion bombs for 2-3 minutes per side or until they are golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels and serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Tips On Cooking With Onion Bombs While Camping
In addition to preparing the filling as mentioned above, you also need to prepare the onion bombs first. These have become classic camping food because they’re quick and easy to make. All you need is a campfire and some onions. Here are some tips on how to cook with onion bombs while camping:
- Start by peeling the onions and cutting them into thick slices. It is best to take big-sized onions as they help to keep the filling intact while frying the bombs.
- Wrap the onion slices in aluminum foil, making sure to seal them tightly.
- Place the foil-wrapped onions in the hot coals of your campfire.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the onions are soft and cooked through.
- Carefully remove the foil packets from the campfire and open them up.
- Insert the filling as per the process mentioned earlier. If you notice that the onion slices are coming off, you can use a string to tie them properly. Make sure you cut the strings before you serve the onion bombs.
- Shallow fry the onion bombs and have a sumptuous meal.
Variations On The Classic Onion Bomb Recipe
The classic onion bomb recipe is a timeless favorite among home cooks. However, there are many ways to vary the basic recipe to suit your personal preferences, especially when you go camping. For example, you can use different types of onions, such as red onions, shallots, or scallions. You can also add other vegetables to the mix, such as garlic, carrots, or celery. Many people even use ground beef. On the other hand, if you like spicy food, try adding some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
If you’re looking for a new and interesting camping food idea, give onion bombs a try! They’re easy to make and taste great. Plus, they’ll keep you well-fed while you’re enjoying the great outdoors.