Best Telescopic Fishing Rods
If you click and purchase with one of our links, we earn a commission. Thanks.
Fishing isn’t as simple as it looks. According to experts, the one thing that can make you a good angler is your fishing rod. Many people consider buying an 8 or 10-foot rod while starting out. That’s where you make a mistake. It’s hard to become a pro angler if you can’t handle a big fishing rod. Instead, use a telescopic fishing rod. It collapses down to a 1 or 2-foot rod for your convenience. This means you can start small and then gradually increase the size of the rod without buying new rods.
With a number of brands claiming that their telescopic fishing rods are the best, you may feel confused about which one to buy. Here are the top-five telescopic fishing rods that top the charts:
The KastKing Blackhawk II features stainless steel line guides and 4 layers of 24-ton carbon fiber shards, making it one of the most flexible telescopic fishing rods. It has a fiberglass tip to provide added strength to help you tackle big fishes efficiently. Most importantly, it allows you to adjust the line guides, thanks to its floatation technology that provides enhanced weight distribution.
- It is extremely strong and durable but also lightweight.
- The 24-ton carbon fiber shards make the fishing rod sensitive and flexible.
- It comes with adjustable stainless steel line guides.
- The handle has a convenient hook holder that allows you to secure the rig after collapsing your rod.
- Unlike many of its competitors, this rod doesn’t have ceramic inlets.
- It is slightly longer than other telescopic fishing rods when collapsed.
The Magreel Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combo is one of the most budget-friendly, durable, and reliable telescopic fishing rods that come with a host of features. For example, it has high-quality stainless steel guides, along with ceramic inlets that offer better heat dissipation. This increases the line’s life even if you are under full load. The 24-ton carbon fiber makes the rod durable and helps you catch big fishes efficiently.
- It has a 5.5:1 gear ratio, allowing you to adjust the handles according to your convenience.
- The rod sits on a stainless steel hooded seat, allowing you to use the rod for saltwater fishing.
- The exquisite aluminum spool makes it a super smooth fishing reel.
- The stainless steel cover makes the rod corrosion-resistant and durable.
- The handle is smaller compared to some of its competitors.
3. KastKing Compass Telescopic Fishing Rod
KastKing is one of the best brands when it comes to providing premium-quality telescopic fishing rods. This model is undoubtedly the best for beginners. It has a fiberglass and graphite composite construction, making it a highly durable fishing rod. You can also choose from a range of lengths. It allows you to adjust from three action settings and three power options for a convenient fishing experience.
- The rod collapses to a length of 16.8 inches, which is small enough to fit in your luggage bag.
- The graphite reel seats make the fishing rod corrosion-resistant.
- The titanium oxide ceramic rings are best for heat dissipation and friction reduction.
- The split EVA foam handle helps you control the rod while tackling big fishes.
- It doesn’t come with a bag.
- PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combo made from carbon fiber
This carbon fiber fishing rod and reel combo is a gem of a fishing rod. It is suitable both for beginners and veterans. Unlike many telescopic fishing rods, this one comes with a high-quality reel. The reel has a plastic core and aluminum spool that boasts of incredible high tensile strength. Its pole has a fiberglass and graphite composite construction to provide sensitivity and strength to the fishing rod.
- The rod is extremely lightweight and ideal for beginners.
- The aluminum oxide guides make the rod corrosion-resistant.
- The reel sits atop a stainless steel hooded seat, making it suitable both for saltwater and freshwater angling.
- It has an instant reverse rotation feature to handle big fishes efficiently.
- The longer versions of this fishing rod are quite heavy.
- TROUTBOY Telescopic Fishing Rod
Are you looking for an ultra-light telescopic fishing rod that doesn’t cost a fortune? Well, stop searching now and buy the TROUTBOY Telescopic Fishing Rod. Its fiberglass/graphite composite construction makes the rod durable, strong, robust, and lightweight. This fishing rod comes with an EVA foam grip that allows you to hold the rod comfortably even if you have wet hands. The combination of ceramic inlets with stainless steel guides is ideal for your braid lines.
- You can choose from six different lengths and two power configurations, according to your convenience.
- This is one of the most stylish fishing rods due to its black and gold design.
- It comes with 13 double-shielded stainless steel ball bearings to help you pull vigorously when you catch a big fish.
- The EVA foam grip provides enough cushioning so that you can hold the rod comfortably.
- It has a relatively small handle compared to some of the other models out there.
What Is A Telescopic Fishing Rod, And Why You Need One?
A telescopic fishing rod collapses to a mere foot or even smaller for easy transport and convenience. Its compact size makes it easier to carry a fishing rod for your camping and long fishing trips. Telescopic fishing rods are common among backcountry fishermen, surf fishermen, and travelers. Most of these telescopic fishing rods are suitable both for freshwater and saltwater fishing. They are lightweight and durable, making them suitable for newbie anglers.
You should use a telescopic fishing rod if you frequently travel to fishing destinations but can’t accommodate a big fishing rod in your car. This type of telescopic fishing rod collapses to 16 or 18 inches, which is small enough to fit in your backpack. That is why many people call them backpacking fishing rods.
Affordability is another reason why you should buy a telescopic fishing rod. If you don’t want to break the bank to buy a high-quality, full-length fishing rod right now, you can buy a telescopic fishing rod that serves the same purpose. You also get rod and reel combos so that you don’t need to invest in reels separately.
Benefits Of Using A Telescopic Fishing Rod
The biggest advantage of using a telescopic fishing rod is its convenience. It collapses and becomes small enough to fit in your backpack. Moreover, the construction of these rods makes them durable and lightweight. Some of the materials used in making telescopic fishing rods are carbon, fiberglass, and graphite. They make the fishing rod strong and robust.
2. Casting ability
Sometimes, you need to wait patiently for hours for a fish to arrive. The lightweight feature of a telescopic fishing rod helps you cast the rod for long hours with minimal arm fatigue.
This type of fishing rod isn’t only for fishing in shallow waters. You can cast your telescopic fishing rod to great distances. Its flexibility allows you to feel even the most delicate fish bites.
4. Luring ability
Telescopic fishing rods are lightweight and sensitive. Therefore, they allow you to feel the most delicate nibbles on the lure. This means you can explore different lures and catch more fishes with your telescopic fishing rod.
Things To Look For In A Good Telescopic Fishing Rod
- Number of sections – Most telescopic fishing rods have four to six sections. Make sure the rod has minimum number of sections for better performance. However, that might affect the rod’s length. Compare the rod length and number of sections before buying a telescopic fishing rod.
- Rod length – Long poles are best for massive fishes and long casts, but short rods are ideal for maneuverability and precision. Know what style of fishing interests you the most before buying the rod. Alternatively, you can check your backpack’s length to see if the folded rod fits in it or not.
- Materials – Most telescopic fishing rods are made with carbon fiber, fiberglass, or a combination of the two. You should buy a telescopic fishing rod that has high tensile strength. Check and compare the rod’s highest weight carrying capacity. This should give you an idea about the rod’s durability.
- Weight – Most telescopic fishing rods are lightweight. They are ideal for beginners as they allow them to maneuver the rods easily after catching a fish. But make sure you consider the baits you use. Telescopic fishing rods may not be able to support heavy baits, such as stick baits or crankbaits.
A telescopic fishing rod is excellent for anglers who frequently travel for camping and fishing trips. It provides all the features of a standard, full-length fishing rod but goes a step further and collapses into a foot-long rod for easy portability. If you are looking for a top-notch telescopic fishing rod, go for the KastKing Blackhawk II. It’s durable, lightweight, and makes fishing a memorable experience both for newbies and veterans.
What Kind Of Camper Are You?Outdoor Survival